Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Discovering the Global Past: Chapter 15

A piece of the reading that I found interesting was the churches response to September 11, when the United States was bombed by terrorists. Reverend Falwell and Pat Robinson believed that an angry God had allowed the terrorists to succeed in their deadly mission because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American Civil Liberties Union. This is the first time that I have encountered this idea, and when I read this section I was truly shocked to see that people really believed that this was the reason for the bombing. I am slightly biased to be against some of the views and ideas of the church as it is, so this just made me angry. Religion needs to evolve and reconsider and be refreshed to the very ideas that people believe qualify a person as a good christian individual. Christianity stresses being a good individual that is accepting and understanding to all other people, no judgment or condemning of others, that is the responsibility of God. The church in this case was just using September 11, as another reason to hate people are different from what they want and teach and I find this truly disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment